Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Red Tigers

I was thinking about a little proverb which goes, "Sow a thought, reap an action; Sow an action, reap a habit!" Habits become second nature; and the second nature needs to be changed. How will you be able to reprogram your second nature?

I recall one day, I heard my son saying a bad word. I gently confronted him about it. He said that he did not want to use the word again, but the bad word was stuck in his mind, so I gave him a thought experiment. I said, "Son, I want you to not think about red tigers for the next twenty seconds." He tried to not think about red tigers, and he said, "daddy, that is impossible. I had to think about red tigers, not to think about them." So, I said, "Son, I want you to think about green tigers for the next twenty seconds." Very soon he was able to do that and smiled exuberantly. That's the key, "you've got to think of green tigers not to think about red tigers."

Your red tigers are your bad habits. Till now you have intellectually struggled with them, but you don't have the spiritual resources to deal with them. You need divine power, divine help. You welcome God into your life, asking for divine resources for your daily life. Now, start some putting some green tigers in your life.


Praying to God, loving your neighbor, learning God’s truths, asking questions of His followers, will all help you with green tigers.

You can beat the red tigers if you want to, if you replace them with green tigers. Your power will come from God himself. You can re-pattern years of bad habits.

No comments: